Surfunation takes the issue of safeguarding your privacy online seriously. We have created this privacy statement in order to demonstrate our firm commitment to privacy. The following discloses our information gathering and dissemination practices for the Surfunation website and emails including www.surfunation.com.au.
Collection of personal information by Surfunation
The personal information we collect and store will depend on what products and services you request from us. This includes (but is not limited to) information provided when requesting a surfing experience booking, gift voucher, gear and/or membership. Our site registration form requests users’ [which includes third party personal information where applicable collected as described below] to give us contact and profile information such as name, email address, phone number, mailing address, age, medical conditions and dietary requirements. Some of the requested information is required in order to receive the Surfunation product or service; other information is optional.
Where your personal information is stored
Where we store your personal information depends on what products and services you have requested from Surfunation. Data is stored in our CRM for the use of processing transactions, providing order confirmations and dispatching products. Information provided in customer feedback forms is also stored on this system. We also maintain an email database for subscribers to our monthly e-newsletters.
Ways we use data
We collect your personal information so that we can use it for our functions and services. This may include, but is not limited to:
- processing your orders including bookings, gift vouchers, gear and membership.
- providing confirmation of your adventure booking and advise of any changes or additional information.
- sending out feedback and surveys and addressing any issues or complaints.
- answering any queries about Surfunation and its products and services.
- sending targeted advertising and promotions that allow us to provide our service;
- sending special deals, promotions and offers based on users interests plus other news on Surfunation including updates of new, or enhanced services.
- confirming receipt of profile changes.
If you do not provide us with your personal information, we will be unable to do one or more of the above. Upon placing an order with Surfunation, you are automatically subscribed to receive our monthly e-newsletter and associated communications as per section below on ‘inferred consent’.
Section 2.3.2 of the Australian e-Marketing Code of Practise states that “Message Originators and Message Service Providers may send…Commercial Communications to Recipients…providing that… it can be reasonably Inferred … that the Recipient has Consented to receive such Commercial Communications (Inferred Consent).” According to section 2.4.1 ‘Inferred consent’ is deemed to exist if Surfunation can show that the Recipient has an existing and continuing relationship with us, and would have a reasonable expectation of receiving such commercial communications. Recipients therefore include all customers, account holders, subscribers, members, licencees, registered users, employees and contractors. For this reason, every person who submits an order for a Surfunation product, or service will automatically be added to our subscriber database.
Disclosure of data
We will not share your information with third parties for their promotional purposes without your permission; however we may obtain personal and other information from you to enable us to provide our services or products to you.
Personal information may also be disclosed to our third party service providers as described below:
- To the adventure provider for the purpose of processing your booking request
- To others in the event of a medical emergency
- To any entity to which we are required, or authorised by or under law to disclose such information such as, in responding to a formal request in a court order, judicial proceeding or subpoena.
- To protect against misuse or unauthorised use of Surfunation.
- To protect the safety, or property of our members, or the public.
- We use a third party payment processor to fulfill payment for services procured on the Site.
- In the event of a sale, merger, or acquisition of some, or all of Surfunation’s assets, your personal information could likely be a part of the transferred assets. In such an event we shall notify you by a notice on the home page of any information and privacy practices that would change as a result.
We request demographic information for our own market research and understanding of our customers. With this information we can provide our users with content we think they might be interested in. Some, but not all, of this information is required to participate in Surfunation programs, however we believe we will be able to provide users with a better service if demographic information is provided. During the registration process, subscribers may be asked if they would like to have their registration information made available to companies that wish to offer products and services that our subscribers may be interested in. We will never share your information with third parties unless you grant us permission to do so.
Collection of information other than personal information
- IP addresses/operating system/browser type: When you visit our web site or click on one of our links, we may automatically record information such as your I.P. address, operating system, browser version, date and time of your visit, pages you accessed and information you downloaded. We use this information to generate usage statistics, ensure that our site and emails are accessible to the widest possible audience and to assist in improving the quality and usability of our website. We may also use I.P. addresses to track abuse of our system.
- Links: When we provide you with links in our emails, they may include a special tracking code unique to you, which allows us to determine which content and advertisements are most popular. We may share this data in aggregate form, but we will never share it in individual form.
- Web beacons: Our Web pages contain electronic images known as Web beacons (sometimes called single-pixel gifs) and are used along with cookies to compile aggregated statistics to analyse how our site is used and may be used in some of our emails to let us know which emails and links have been opened by recipients. This allows us to gauge the effectiveness of our customer communications and marketing campaigns.
This site (and our emails) contain links to other sites. Surfunation.com.au is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such Web sites. We also provide users with the capacity to share information on the Site on other platforms. These widgets do not store or use your personal information.
We may invite you to provide information (such as name and e-mail address) of your friends and family whom you think would like to receive our special offers. The users referred to us receive invitation e-mails, but do not become members until they confirm their interest in our service. We use the third party information you provide to send this one time email.
Our servers are equipped with 128-bit encryption bit technology (designated security keys from authorised certificate-of-trust distributors) for secure purchases and form ordering made within the shopping area. Users’ are notified of encryption processing when a gold padlock appears on the bottom right of the browser. While we take every measure to employ industry accepted security standards, please be aware no security mechanism is 100% secure.
If you no longer wish to receive Surfunation’s publications, you may remove your details from the subscriptions list by clicking on the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of the associated email. Alternatively, you can email [email protected] with the subject heading ‘Unsubscribe’. Please note that by law, Surfunation has 5 days to action your unsubscribe request.
We provider users’ an opportunity to review their experiences; we post their first name and last initial with their review after obtaining their consent. Please be aware that Surfunation is not responsible for the personal information a user selects to include within their review.
Notification of Changes
Access and Correction of your personal information
You can ask to obtain access to your personal information that we hold, although under some circumstances permitted by law, we may not provide such information to you. It is important to us that the personal information we hold about you is accurate, complete and up to date. If you would like your personal information corrected or deleted, please email [email protected] with your updated information.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you services contact us at [email protected] We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Contacting the web site or webmaster
If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of this site, or your dealings with this Web site, you can contact Surfunation at [email protected] We will make all reasonable attempts to respond to your enquiry.
By Mail: PO Box 7407, Warringah Mall, NSW 2100 Australia.